Sometimes I wonder what I thought about before blogging, before I knew anything about digital media and instagram and this crazy little virtual world that has taken over my real world. It’s taken over my brain.
I’ve talked a little bit about my background before blogging, but if you’re new, I’ll give you the short story version. I used to work in Pharmaceutical Sales, and while I loved marketing, I’m not really all that into biology/science (shocker right?) So I began talking to myself on this little corner of the internet: Chacos & Chanel, that one day became Yes, Please.
I try to be 100000% transparent on here, something that I feel is slowly decreasing in this world of buying followers, likes, giveaways, etc. etc. (full post about how I’ve never done that & never will here) So, today I wanted to tell you exactly why I blog, what I hope to gain this year and what I need from you guys.
Ok all that boring mumbo jumbo aside, you’re probably thinking, “why do you do this?”
– I love it. Literally everything aside, just writing here, creating content, shooting the photos; I really enjoy it. When I’m not doing it, I miss it. Something about just writing is so therapeutic. So, even back when I first started and only twenty people read my posts, I still loved doing it, and I still kept going.
– I love you guys. I’ve connected with SO many of y’all. I have met girls from all over the country, and I talk to you guys so often on snapchat, Instagram, etc. Hearing from you guys is the best thing in the world.
-I love helping. If I feel like I have an easy solution to something, a holy grail find or a great recipe, I want EVERYONE to know. I feel like I am so happy and so blessed; I want to share that with everyone I know. I’m the same in real life too. If I am eating something, and it’s so good, I want everyone at the table to try it. I can’t stand being the only one to know a good secret. If I can even help one person have a better, easier or happier day, then all of this is worth it. I love sharing recipes that bring happiness into your home and kitchen, that maybe are a healthier option of your favorite food or just bring you one cheap and easy dinner. To know that over hundreds or thousands of you guys have tried and like my recipes is so unreal. It is seriously one of those pinch me moments that makes me so happy. I truly feel like this is what I am meant to do in life and I could not be happier.
I just want you guys to know, I am never doing this to make money, (if I was I would have stopped a loooong time ago) but truly doing it because I love it, and I love you guys! Yes, sometimes there will be a sponsored post here or there, but it’s only to make extra money to help support this site. Plus, I will never post about something I don’t truly love. I actually have a full post talking about sponsored posts here. I want to grow and the opportunity to reach more people, not to make more money. I want to get to know more of you. I want to hopefully make each of your days a little more positive. I want to create a loving, uplifting Yes, Please community.
So, I’m saying all this today because in 2018 I need your help.
You see, the industry is getting more saturated with bloggers, algorithms are changing and things are getting tougher. While I know it’s not about the numbers, it’s hard to grow when your numbers are small. In fact, the other day I had someone tell me I was a fake blogger because I sometimes get below 300 likes… WHAT! This shouldn’t even matter, yet sometimes it does. Sometimes I fall in the trap and get caught. But I want this year to be the year that changes!!
If you love Yes, Plz and want to help + support me this year, here’s a few (FREE & EASY) ways you can literally make my day..
Like my photos. On Instagram, Facebook, Etc. Now I’m not saying that you need to like every single photo, because if you really don’t like something I post please don’t feel forced to like it! But if you do like it, like it!
Tag a friend, comment on it or tell me why you like it.
Send it to your bestie!
Share my posts on Facebook
Repin my Posts on Pinterest
All these things can help me tremendously!! Just engaging with my content will make it show up more on Instagram and other feeds, in turn helping me grow!
Also, DM me. I love to chat with you guys. Tell me if you don’t like something or if you do like something so I can post more of it. I’m a human just like you guys and I love to interact with y’all!
I know SO many of you already do these things, and I cannot pour my heart out to you guys enough. I know something as small as double tapping my photo may not seem like a big deal but it truly is. It helps other people see my content, it helps me know what type of content to create more of and it’s the little affirmation that we are growing towards my dream Yes, Plz community. THANK YOU so much from the bottom of my heart.
SO, for 2018 I want to hear from you guys how we can make this community stronger.. do you want to see more focus on using the #OhYesPlz hashtag to create a community? To see how others are liking and not liking my posts/ideas/recipes? Would you like to see a private group Facebook page where we can share what works and what doesn’t, secret info and talk to each other? What do you guys think??
I’ve been doing this for a while, and I’m not going to lie, there are days where I wonder “What am I doing wrong? Why haven’t I grown faster?” Somehow those are the same days that you guys send me the sweetest, most uplifting messages and it’s just like… God or the Universe knows I need that extra little push not to give up. That’s when I realize it’s quality over quantity. I may grow at a slower pace, but we’re truly starting the foundation for an amazing community.
At the end of last year, I really started thinking about my future in blogging. As RJ and I grow older, start to think about starting to think about kids, I sometimes wonder.. “Am I wasting my time? Am I wasting money? Why do I actually blog??” I’m not going to lie, there are days when I honestly consider quitting it all.
Why? It’s all just free stuff and trips and fun photoshoots right? WRONG
*pause* I never want anything, ANYTHING in this post to come across as negative, privileged, whiny, complaining, entitled, etc. I know I’m so, so blessed with these opportunities, I am so happy to blog and I know I’m very lucky. I thank God every day for how lucky I am, but just like any other human, I have bad days too.
So why do I sometimes consider quitting?
– Blogging is scary. There is no “known”. There’s no guidebook. There’s no rules or boss or anything to tell you what you’re doing right or wrong. I could literally spend 3 hours doing something every day that may have a solution that would only take me 5 minutes, but I may never learn the solution. I don’t know when I’ll get paid, if I’ll get paid, if I’ll ever grow more in the community, if people will like what I post.
– Blogging is time consuming. From the time I think of a post, write out the concepts, props/items that are needed, where I want to shoot, shoot it, edit the photos, write the post, publish the post and promote across all social channels, etc. One single post can take anywhere from 12 hours to 5 days to finish. Sometimes, but very few times I’m paid for these posts. Nine times out of ten, I’m just writing them because I think you guys will enjoy it or find it helpful.
– Blogging is expensive. It’s not a free hobby. I’m lucky to be a lifestyle blogger, and I try to “capture vs. create,” but there are still many expenses that come along with what I do. I’m not a full time blogger, so some months I make money, and some months I don’t. I promise I am not in this for the money, or I would be screwed to be honest.
If I can just help one person this year, all this crazy stuff is worth it a million times over.. but it’s hard to grow, so that’s why I’m being raw and real and just asking your help this year. Instead of all the crazy tricks & cheats & giveaways, I just wanted to be honest. Somedays it’s hard and somedays we get discouraged, so I wanted to end when this post I saw yesterday (again the perfect timing and motivation)..
So, even if you’re not a blogger.. don’t give up!! You never know what is just around the corner. I have a feeling 2018 is going to be a great year for everyone. And even if you don’t reach your goal, at least you’ll know you gave it your all and it just maybe wasn’t meant to be because something better is happening soon. You never want to look back and think ‘coulda, shoulda, woulda’. XO