If you’re reading this and struggling with adult acne or hormonal acne, I am truly sorry. I know the struggle all too well and it is not fun. When I had adult hormonal acne, it was truly awful. I felt dirty, even though I was washing my face more than ever. I felt ugly, gross and just sad. I didn’t understand what was happening or how to stop it. I felt like I tried everything. Finally, after struggling for over a year, I finally found relief.
I always get a little anxious sharing my before photos, but if it can help just one person, it’s worth it. Here are five easy ways that I cured my hormonal acne for good! As you can see below, it was horrible. It was painful and confusing, I didn’t understand what to do. I tried visiting multiple dermatologists, facials, creams, even perscription medicine – all with no results.
5 WAYS TO HELP HORMONAL ACNE:
1. Beauty by Dr. Kay Acne System. I have talked about this system for years because it truly changed my life. I met Dr. Kay by chance and was in the midst of my acne struggle. She told me that her system would help and I did not believe her. My stepmom ended up sending me her kit to try and one week later I was literally in tears because of how much it had already changed. This system is great for a few reasons, first it’s so affordable. You get the full 4 step system for under $50. I will warn you it’s strong. I would start slow and work your way into the full system. I started by washing my face morning + night with the cleanser and only using the pads, moisturizer and spot treatment in the evening. I apply the spot treatment with a q-tip or cotton pad becuase it stays on your fingers and will BURN your eyes if you touch them (I learned this the hard way). After a few uses, I was already seeing a difference. Within the month, I was a new woman. Now that I have my acne under control, I do not have to use the whole system. I still love the spot treatment and moisturizer, especially because the spot treatment dries clear and you can use it during the day. *this is not sponsored, I don’t even use affiliate links with Dr. Kay so I truly get nothing in return for sharing, it just truly helped me SO much.
I also love this serum for acne and in fact, I still use it even when I’m not using Dr. Kay’s system.
2. Healing Begins Within. Dr. Kay’s system definitely changed my skin for the better and gave me a huge jumpstart on clearing up my skin but it still wasn’t perfect. I knew my acne was hormonal so I visited my gynocologist and had a full blood panel done. This is when I was diagnosed with PCOS. You may not have PCOS, or maybe you don’t even have anything but I do suggest doing some research, tests, and looking within to see what the root of your issue is. For me, taking Inositol has been huge in helping my hormones. If I ever miss it for a few days, I can tell a big difference in my skin and will begin to see a few pimples pop up.
3. Your Diet. Another thing to look at is your diet. When I cut gluten out, I noticed a huge difference in how clear and glow-y my skin is. It not only helped my skin, but also made a HUGE difference in my undereye darkness and puffiness. If you’re not sure what you could cut from your diet or how it could help, try doing Whole 30 and then reintroduce triggers like gluten, diary, etc. You will be able to see how each affects you!
4. Facials. Getting regular facials has been a game changer for me! I found an esthetician I LOVE at Massage Heights in Chattanooga and she’s not only making my skin majorly up its game, but also teaching me a ton. I’ve been getting facials and peels that include a serum to kill bacteria on the skin. This is huge with fighting breakouts. She also extracts my skin to clear the pores. If you’re in Chattanooga, I highly recommend trying her (and you can get $25 off your first facial with code ‘Riley25‘). If you’re not in Chattanooga, I still recommend one facial a month.
5. Careful with What Touches Your Face. You may be great about not touching your face, but maybe don’t realize all the other things that touch your face each day as well! One that I am very cautious about is my phone screen. I make note to clean it each evening while washing my face. I just use a damp wash cloth and wipe the screen down. About once every week or so, I’ll use a little soap to clean it too. Also, be sure to wash your pillow case often! At one point I was doing two nights on one side, two nights on the other side and then wash. If you notice your breakouts are around your hairline, neck and under your neck – try changing your conditioner. I had one reaction to a conditioner that made my breakouts 10x worse. Once I changed, it improved a lot!
Check out more of my after photos below! These are no make up and the only filter is to slightly enhance the colors. If you have any other questions, drop them below or on Instagram (@RileySitton). If you do have hormonal acne, I hope you find a solution soon. XO