Let’s be real, the holidays are amazing but the food is even better. Warm comfort food, cozy casseroles, pies a la mode. You know you have your favorite holiday dish! Mine? Broccoli Cheese Rice Casserole. My all-time favorite. BUT I needed a way to make it a healthy holiday dish. And then I realized I needed a way to make a healthy holiday lifestyle. After chatting with my mom (who’s part nutritionist, part professional triathlete) we found Six Healthy Holiday Hacks to stay on top of your game this holiday season!
Oh and for a special treat, I’ll share my Healthy Hacked Broccoli Cheese Rice at the bottom of this post & lots more healthy holiday recipes coming soon!
SIX HEALTHY (ish) HOLIDAY HACKS:
- Plan. Planning is succeeding. Plan your meals, plan your workouts, plan everything and there is less room for surprises. My mom’s biggest workout tip is to schedule your workouts at the beginning of each week like a meeting you cannot miss. Invest in yourself this season and you’ll feel better when January 1st comes around!
- Take Charge. When heading to family events, potlucks or whatever type of holiday shindigs you attend, offer to bring a dish and make that dish a healthy option. That way you know you have something there you can eat and won’t feel guilty about.
- Stay Active. Don’t just use the holidays to eat. Get with family and sign up for races, play family football games, take the steps when you can, find new workouts you can do online (I’m about to start round two of BBG!)
- Don’t Come Starving. When you’re headed to a Thanksgiving lunch or Christmas dinner, start your day with a healthy meal. Don’t show up starving or you will be more likely to eat more and with less control.
- Go Slow. Take your time and enjoy it! I know I can get excited and eat so quickly which leads me to be miserably full and not even enjoy all the great food. Start with smaller portions and take your time and stop when you’re full.
- Be Smart. Watch out for hidden calories, carbs, and sugars especially in drinks! Fall cocktails and yummy Starbucks drinks can ruin all your hard work. My favorite Fall cocktail is a glass of champagne with a splash of Apple Cider. I do however treat myself to a Creme Brulee Latte from Starbucks now and then because they are just SO good.
All in all, it’s a holiday and you should enjoy yourself! I know this whole time of year is filled with parties and celebrations, so if I’m not careful one small treat can turn into a downward spiral. I may splurge here and there but I try to stay on track most of the time. I try to make better choices when I can and one way I do that is by making this Broccoli Cheese Cauliflower Rice Casserole! It’s also become a weeknight staple because it is so easy.