**Please ignore today’s photography! I shot everything last night but for some reason the pictures are gone 🙁 All I have left is this shot of my leftovers and a snapchat of the sausage we used.
If there is one thing I always crave, it’s Mexican food. I swear I can never, ever get enough. When Babe and I were headed home from Italy all we could think about was eating Mexican food as soon as we landed (that and Chick fil A 😋). We actually ran into a girl from Washington DC in customs, she was traveling home from Greece. She said she loved her trip, but it was crazy all she could think about was eating Mexican food! I guess it’s everyones favorite.
I’m always looking for ways to mix it up, but keep it light and healthy. These Fiesta Lime Chicken Bowls I whipped up last year are full of citrusy, sweet potato and arugula goodness. They are one of our all time favorites! Last night I decided to try something a little different. Mixing brown rice with black beans and some Chipotle Chicken Sausage I picked up from Aldi, proved for a super quick, easy and delicious Mexican Monday! If you aren’t a die hard Aldi lover like me, or don’t have one around, you could easily swap the sausage out for diced chicken breast or normal chicken sausage!
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 4 Chipotle Chicken Sausage Links, Sliced (OR Diced, Raw Chicken Breast)
- Salt and Pepper
- 4 green onions, chopped (Optional)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (4 oz) can chopped green chilies
- 2 tsp lime zest
- 3 Tbsp lime juice
- 1 (14.5 oz) can black beans, rinsed and well drained
- 2 cups minute brown rice (don’t use regular rice!)
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot add sausage or chicken, season with salt and pepper, and saute until cooked through, about 6 minutes, adding in lighter portions of the green onions and garlic at last 1 minute of cooking. Stir in broth, green onion greens, green chilies, lime zest, lime juice, black beans and season with salt and pepper to taste. Bring mixture to a boil, add rice, fully immerse rice in broth, and allow to boil 20 seconds, then remove from heat and immediately cover with a lid. Let rest 10 minutes.
- If needed, return pan to medium heat and cook and toss 1 minute to allow rice to absorb excess moisture. Remove from heat, toss in cilantro and let rest uncovered 3 minutes.
**We leave out the onions, I just feel bad that I never share recipes with onions (we absolutely hate them). This is a twist on my mom’s black beans and rice, she adds onions so I figured I would leave them in the recipe in case you do like them!
We made this recipe for dinner last night and it was so easy and so delicious. It made enough for Babe to eat two bowls last night, I had one and we still had plenty of leftovers for tonight’s dinner. I added a little bit of cheese and greek yogurt to mine, creamy but still light.
Thank y’all so much for all your support from yesterday’s big announcement! I’m so excited for this journey, I think it will be a learning experience but I’m ready to see where it takes us. xo