I thought this would be a fun new series to start, a Hello, Husband seires that can be anything about married life! Maybe we can even get RJ to pop in here sometimes and chit chat ha!
I am constantly getting messages and questions asking how I eat healthy-ish but also cook meals that my eats-like-a-toddler husband also enjoys. After being together 7 years, living together for over 3 of those years – I think it’s safe to say I have it mastered!
1. Staying Well Stocked. I think my biggest tip is knowing what to stock up on at the store. Go together and suggest things that are healthier. Instead of Little Debbies, I try to find a good Larabar flavor or protein bar that he enjoys. Instead of white bread, I grab Dave’s Killer Bread (whole wheat, full of grains and is organic). A few other things we stock up on, I’ll explain more in a minute, is Uncle Ben’s 90 Second Rice, Walmart Brand Risotto, Dry Pasta, Instant Mashed Potatoes, Frozen ‘Corn’ Tater Tots and Sweet Potato Fries.
2. Finding a Star. Whenever I’m thinking about what we’re going to eat, I find a star of the dish and then we each get our own accompaniments. A few of our favorite combos:
- Salsa Verde Chicken w. Cauliflower Rice (for me) & Uncle Ben’s 90 Second Spanish Rice (for him) + Black Beans
- Turkey Meatballs w. Spaghetti Squash (for me) & Angel Hair Noodles (for him)
- Turkey Burgers w. Frozen Green Giant Brand Broccoli Tots (for me) & Corn Tots (for him)
- Pesto Chicken w. Frozen Butternut Squash Rice (for me) & Noodles or Rice (for him) *bonus, he will actually eat the butternut squash rice now!
You get the main idea of this swap! I am a huge fan of the Frozen Cauliflower Rice, just be sure you have some kind of sauce to mix in, it’s not very good alone. It can be microwaved which makes it easy to make an additional side for RJ.
3. Get Creative. So another way I like to keep RJ happy is by finding fun, healthy alternatives for some of his favorite meals. Sometimes this simply means a swap for a better option (like brown rice in our fried rice instead of white) or sometimes it means completely recreating a dish. A few of our faves:
- RJ loves Chili Cheese Tots, I make Beanless Ground Turkey Chili w. Frozen Veggie Tots
- RJ loves Burritos, I make Chicken Burrito Bowls w. Cauliflower Rice, Black Beans and Greek Yogurt instead of Sour cream
- RJ loves Buffalo Wild Wings, I make Buffalo Grilled Chicken Salads.
- RJ loves Asain Takeout, I make Chicken Fried Rice w. Brown Rice & a Soy Sauce Alternative
Sometimes it just takes a little out of the box thinking to see what I can come up with that he will love!
4. Find Swaps He Loves. There are certain foods that RJ will absolutely not eat (like cauliflower) so I know he will never try those. However, he has found that he enjoys sweet potatoes, butternut squash, spinach, spaghetti sauce and a few other things that I can make for both of us if I don’t feel like making two side options. I also try to find ways to make little daily things healthier because I know over time that makes a difference. A few snacks I’ve found he loves:
- Yasso Greek Yogurt Ice Cream Bars
- Light & Fit Greek Yogurt Crunch
- Killer Dave’s Bread
- Sargento Nut & Cheese Snacks
- Almond Milk Creamer
- Mtn. Dew Kickstart Energy Drink with Coconut Water
- Cheese Crisps (like cheezits but all cheese!)
- Halo Top Ice Cream
Finally, I’ll give y’all the recipe I made RJ the first time I ever cooked for him! I swear that was the day he decided to marry me. He LOVES these Hawaiian Bowls (he eats his w. brown rice & me with cauliflower) and they’re so easy!! I’m always looking for new ways to trick RJ into eating healthier, what are your favorite tips or recipes?! XO