First, like anything great in life I have to credit my mama. She made up a version of these baked empanadas/quesadillas/heaven and I was so excited to try them. She’s a vegetarian so I added chicken and took out the cheese which just means so many different variations of these are delicious!!
I start by whipping up some of my famous skinny fiesta chicken aka Mexican crack chicken. It’s so easy, so good and so addicting. We usually make a batch once a week and keep it on hand to top cauliflower rice burrito bowls, taco salads or tacos! It was the perfect addition to these baked empanadas.
The rest is even more simple, a tortilla filled with cooked sweet potatoes, rinsed black beans and shredded chicken. Pinched, baked, enjoyed, really enjoyed these things are so good. Something about the citrus-y, super juicy chicken mixed with the sweetness of the sweet potatoes and the crunch of the baked tortilla make these a little bit of heaven without any of the guilt!
The absolute best part — they can be reheated!! I’ve been making a batch of these and taking the leftovers for lunch. Cheaper and healthier than the frozen organic burritos I loved to eat and they taste even better.
You could add anything you like in the baked empanadas but honestly, they don’t even need much! The creaminess of the sweet potato leaves you happy without cheese and the bursts of flavor will satisfy all your taste buds. I like to top mine with a little bit of tomatillo salsa, greek yogurt and maybe an avocado if I’m super hungry.
- 2 Chicken Breasts, uncooked and thawed
- 4 Limes, juiced
- Cilantro (You can use fresh or 3 Tablespoons of dried)
- 1 can of Diced Tomatoes + Green Chiles
- 3 Tortillas
- 2 Sweet Potatoes
- 1 Can of Black Beans
- Spray Oil (I like to use avocado oil)
- Preheat the oven to 450
- Place chicken breast in the baking dish
- Top with the remaining ingredients
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until it is cooked all the way through (no pink, I usually take mine out around 20 minutes and cut it into small pieces so it cooks faster)
- Shred chicken with fork and knife, place in a bowl or tupperware and pour juice and contents from the baking dish with the chicken. Keep in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- *If you are using a crock pot combine everything in the crock pot, cook on high for 3 hours or low for 5. Shred the chicken and return to juice
- Cook the sweet potatoes in the microwave, skin on for about 8-10 minutes. Once cooked remove all the potato from the skin and place in a bowl. Use a fork to gently mash the potatoes
- Drain and rinse a can of black beans
- In a tortilla, place a spoonful of sweet potatoes, black beans and shredded chicken -- drizzle some of the juices over it too for extra flavor!
- Fold the tortilla in half and use a fork to press all the edges together
- Spray both sides with the oil and place on a cookie sheet
- Once all are finished, bake for 5 minutes on one side, flip and bake 5 minutes on the other side
I know this seems like a lot of steps, but it’s actually very easy! Especially if you make the chicken ahead of time or if you make it in a crockpot. You can have dinner ready in 20 minutes from start to finish, #OhYesPlz I’m not kidding when I say we make these once a week now, I could eat them every single day! You have to let me know if you try them and if you add anything that makes it even more delicious. XO