I’ve had this post in the back of my head for months, yet can’t bring myself to write it because I always, always feel like a brat. See, I know we have an amazing kitchen but it’s not exactly the kitchen I would have chosen. This isn’t a real problem, or even really a problem, but I spend so much time in my kitchen, photographing my kitchen, photographing in my kitchen, looking at my kitchen- that it’s just one of those things.
Since the first day we looked at our house, well even before when we found it online, I knew the kitchen was going to need some changes. I actually argued that we didn’t even go see our house because I wasn’t a fan of the kitchen. I just felt if we were spending the money to buy a home, it should be perfect! In the end, we loved everything else about our house, especially our lot. RJ convinced me though that they were just cosmetic changes and we would do whatever I liked if we bought the house. He told me we can always change a kitchen, we can’t move a lot. He was right but don’t tell him!!
Well… now we’re in our house and you know how it goes. We needed this and we needed that, we traveled here, this bill popped up, blah blah blah. A week rarely goes by where I don’t remind RJ of the changes he promised but I’m just being impatient. I know we will get there one day, but for now, I’m just making do!
I thought this would actually be the perfect ‘progress’ post. I am trying to share more of the journey with you guys and not just the destination! I think it’s more fun and real that way. I’m going to share a few images below that capture my image for my dream kitchen and then I’m going to spill the deets on some hacks I’m using to keep me happy in my current kitchen.
So here are a few shots of my ‘dream’ kitchen. I used to be a huge fan of an all-white kitchen, and yes I still think it’s pretty. It’s just not what I think fits our home and personality. I love love love the character that comes with wood accents, mixed with clean white counters and a clean backsplash… BE STILL MY HEART.
In addition to changing the countertops and backsplash, I want to swap our sink out for a farmhouse sink, add a pot filler, vent hood and replace our faucet. Fingers crossed that we can start making changes later this year.
Meanwhile, I’m making do with what I have and I know things could be a lot worse. I really like the layout of our kitchen and we have great storage options and prep space, it’s amazing! So really everything is cosmetic. I know so many of you are in apartments, rental homes or like us and not in a spot to do a kitchen reno just yet (I’m shocked at how pricey they are!! I’m trying to convince RJ we can do most of the work and cut down prices ha!), so here’s how you can love your current kitchen too!
- Greenery & Plants: This is a great way to freshen up any kitchen and bring in life! Grab some fresh herbs and pot them or this artificial potted tree set is adorable.
- Baskets: I am a basket hoarder! I actually had to stop myself from going overboard today at Homegoods. I love baskets for organizing cookbooks, coffee bar accessories, utensils and more.
- Leaning Photos & Cookbooks: If you don’t have a backsplash or don’t like your backsplash, or even just want to add some character- grab some hanging photo frames and cookbooks. These are so cute layered and leaning up against the backsplash.
- Knobs: One simple way to elevate your kitchen and take it from builder grade to custom, is by switching out your knobs. A few knobs that I love are matte black, gold/brass, unique shapes and even unique knobs. We got ours from Hobby Lobby but Amazon also has great ones.
- Cute Accessories: Think of your kitchen as functional and fashionable. While we use cookbooks and cheese boars for accessories, you can also add your other favorite decor too! We have a fun scale that also holds fruit, a cake stand with candles on it, an adorable lantern and more. When decorating your counter, use a rule of three and group things together.
- Embrace What Ya Got! Overall, I think it’s important to look at the style and colors of your kitchen and really enhance them. If your kitchen is dark, brighten it up with light pieces. Add fun rugs, do what you can! Pinterest has so many hacks for DIY counters, backsplashes and more!
This is part one of three of my Kitchen Hacks post. I will also have one on organization and storage hacks and I will have a Kitchen Hack post on food as well (think storage, when to splurge and when to save and more!). XO
ps. lots of questions about our sugar mold succulents, see the full DIY post here.
pps. I found our barstools on sale HERE.