Anyone else running out of ideas for meals? Me too! I have challenged myself to step out of the box and out of the freezer to come up with some easy and fresh at home lunches – that were still affordable. I’m happy to say I’ve found five easy favorites, you’ll love!
I’ve been able to get all the ingredients below during this strange ‘Stay At Home’ time and these have quickly become my favorite make at home lunches. I hope you love them as much as I have!
Easy & Affordable At Home Lunches:
1. Cucumber, Avocado and Cream Cheese Sandwich.
The most simple of the group and also my current fave of my at home lunches. I can’t get enough of this fresh Spring sandwich! Light, yet filling – I have been eating this non-stop. Feel free to add your favorite ingredients, yet this is perfect as is! Plus, I can use 1 Avocado & 1 Cucumber for 4 sandwiches, total budget win!
- 1/4 Avocado
- 1/4 Cucumber
- Spoonful of Cream Cheese
- 2 Slices of Bread
- Toast your bread
- Spread Cream Cheese on one piece, Avocado on the other
- Slice Cucumbers and remove skin. Place on piece of bread.
- Top with other side and enjoy!
2. Black Bean Burritos – Make ahead batch of 8
When I first created this recipe, I made it so much that I made myself take a break from it! They’re so good, cheap and easy to make. You can make a batch of 8 at once and reheat them throughout the week. Perfect for anyone working from home or just sick of making lunch every single day. You can customize them to add meat, veggies, etc. but are delicious kept simple as well. Get the recipe here.
3. Cottage Cheese and Noodles
Yes, this sounds odd but don’t knock it until you try it! I like to make a large batch and then reheat during the week. You don’t even have to like cottage cheese to like this dish! RJ who is so picky and hates cottage cheese actually enjoys this as well. The cottage cheese melts and changes texture/taste, you have to try it.
- 1 Bag of Egg Noodles
- Cottage Cheese (about 1/2 Cup – 1 Cup, I like alot!)
- Steam in Bag of Broccoli
- Optional: Onions, Shredded Chicken
- Boil egg noodles according to package
- Cook broccoli according to package, if big pieces cut up
- Drain and mix with cottage cheese and broccoli (and cooked shredded chicken if you’d like)
- Add a little salt & pepper
- Save leftovers, microwave before serving
notes: if you want to add onions, I recommend sauteeing in a skillet and then adding when you add cottage cheese
4. Chicken Salad Sandwiches
Another favorite of mine lately, simple yet yummy! I like to make a big batch of chicken salad and then I can throw together sandwiches for a quick lunch. I love them on mini croissants but you could pair it with anything.
- 2-3 Chicken Breasts, boiled and shredded
- Avocado Mayonaise (or Mayo of your choice), about 1/2-1 Cup
- Mustard, about 2-3 TBSP
- 1 Apple, diced
- Pecan or nut of your choice
- Celery, diced
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl
- Serve on your favorite bread, salad, with crackers, etc. Enjoy!
5. Fruit & Yogurt Bowl
When it’s warm outside, I am always wanting something light and refreshing. These yogurt bowls always hit the spot! You can pile it up with your favorites and feel good about what you’re eating. This fun dish works for an easy breakfast, too!
- Yogurt of your Choice (I like Strawberry Greek or Vanilla Bean Greek)
- Fruit of Choice (I use bananas, blueberries and anything else we have on hand!)
- Shredded Coconut
- Cacao Nibs
- Start with your yogurt and top with everything else. Drizzle with honey!
Which of these at home lunches are you going to try first? I’d love to see if yall make any, please tag me on social!